Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Food feeds culture. Culture feeds food.

I love food. Not really just food but the cultural stories behind them. I would love to meet with The owners of Dran Restaurant in Greensboro NC to interview them in the style of a cooking show.
The owners of Dran are Montagnards but their menu consists of Vietnamese and Japanese food. I would love to ask them

Why they don't make Montagnard food?

Why they chose traditional Vietnamese and where the idea of encorporating a Japanese menu came from?

What kind of flavors/ingredients are in Montagnard food?

Do they encorporate any of these in their menu?

Where do they get their ingredients?

What are the significant differences between Vietnamese and Montagnard dishes?

Does the owner know how to cook Vietnamese and Japanese food? If so, how did they learn?

When did they come to America, and what inspired them to open this restaurant?

These are just a few samples of the questions that I have. I have recently started getting into cooking. I'm not really one for recipes, I usually just toss what I think will be good in a pot, and it keeps coming out delicious. I wonder how this could be coming from a person who couldn't stand to be in a kitchen growing up. I've finally come to the conclusion that it must be because of the culture I was raised in. My family values food. All of the women in my family and my brother are absolutely incredible cooks. Though we don't have much money, if the occasion calls for it, my parents have no problem with dropping a few hundred dollars on a meal. It was my exposure to food as such a valued part of life that made me love it so much now. True to my nature I am curious about the part that food plays in Montagnard culture. About how it came to be such an important part of the lives of the owners of Dran, and how their cultures play into. I have worked in two restaurants before and understand the enormous commitment that it takes to own one. These people must have passion and a strong story behind their food as all restaurants. I intend to find these stories. Also, I would really love to film a cooking segment if they would be that obliging.


This is my relationship to food in the Montagnard community.



No comments: