Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Best Played Loud

This is my traditional vs. contemporary video project, and in order to get the full effect of the music, it's best heard on headphones.
I took a band that I find powerful and versatile. The Black Keys have a strong driving force in their music. I knew that music like this had to have deep roots, and I wanted to find out where.

I took an interview from the NPR program "Fresh Air", cut it, and used it as narration over videos clips, their music, and the music that influenced The Black Keys and give them their distinctive sound.

I was also interested in how The Black Keys have a very
marketable sound. They have upwards to 20 commercial credits, inclu
ding movies, and television theme songs. I wanted to see how they felt about this as serious musicians and disprove the idea that many people hold. These people don't consider themselves musical snobs, but they are, which is why The Black Keys had such trepidation about becoming commercialized. I wanted to show how this has benefited the band, and how they maintain
their musicianship. I also simply wanted to tell their story.

I had a very clear outline of what I wanted to do, and though it took a lot of footwork, I am happy with the video that was produced.

No comments: